What I did this past weekend:
- My wife and I visited my mom and ate Thai food.
- I hung out with my wife.
- I watched the entire first season of Louie.
- I watched the Chicago Bears lose to the stinky Green Bay Packers. (Ah, well — there’s always next year…)
- I goofed off online.
- I read.
What I didn’t do this past weekend:
- Record and edit my podcast.
- Edit some things needing to be edited.
- Work on an upcoming presentation.
I took a weekend off.
And you know what?
- The world didn’t end because I wasn’t busy.
- People didn’t rush to unsubscribe to my podcast because it will go up tonight, instead of yesterday.
- I didn’t forget how to write.
I would have loved having a productive weekend, but I loved the weekend I had doing not much at all.
If you’re burned out, don’t feel guilty taking a break. It’s when that break becomes habit that we all need to worry about our writing priorities.